Monday, January 17, 2011

Slow Cooker Applesauce

Hello everyone! It’s a gorgeous day outside, I’ve got a tall glass of diet Citrus Drop (store-brand Mtn Dew…what? I’m a college student. As you’ll soon learn, in my kitchen I loves me some store brands.), and my first ever recipe post!

Today I’m going to show you how to make applesauce in your slow cooker. The recipe I’ve got here is synthesized from a number of places, so I feel comfortable listing the ingredients I used at the end (along with what I’ll do differently next time…because when have I ever left well enough alone?). However, looking back, I do seem to follow most closely to the applesauce recipe over at the Slow Cooker blog, so here! Check out Stephanie’s method, and notice that she has a bit more success than I do here.

The Players

First, the players. We’ve got lemon juice, brown sugar (light, but I think dark would be fantastic), cinnamon, vanilla, and apples.


I used McIntosh apples. They’re tangy, sweet, and I had a 3 lb bag of them in the cupboard that were getting to the “We’re going to be mealy and gross!” stage.

 So, McIntosh. If I’d had a different variety of apple threatening grossness, I would’ve used those.

Basically everything here is a store brand item, and I’ll tell you why: The cheap, I has it.

I’m a college student, working part time, and I haven’t noticed enough difference in most things to justify paying more for a name brand. Now, if I hate the store brand, I’ll buy name. Mostly, though, embrace the generics. It’s easier on the wallet.

So, I used 6 apples from a 3 lb bag (so you know they’re smaller than the ones you buy individually).

I got out my handy cutting board. I got this one at Ikea (lovelovelove Ikea). It’s bendy and blue, and it came in a pack of two so I have one labeled “MEAT” the other labeled “NON-MEAT” so that I can be less paranoid about things being cross-contaminated.

I don’t want raw chicken ick on my bell pepper slices. I’ve had food poisoning and I do not recommend it.



Anyway, so we’re going to use a cutting board, and I have this nifty apple corer/slicer dealie. I got it for a couple of bucks at Wally world, I think. They’re all over the place. Of course, nothing is preventing you from coring and slicing on your own. More power to you.


I sliced/cored an apple, then I took a sharp paring knife and cut off the peel. (As I write this, I’m no longer convinced that’s the right word…peel? Rind? What’s on the outside of an apple? Oh God, words.) Just slowly slide the knife under the peel and around the curve of the apple.

Or you could use a vegetable peeler on it before cutting it up. Whatever makes you happy.

The crock pot I’m going to be using today was a gift from Rocket Scientist’s parents for Christmas, and I love it hardcore. It’s a 2.5 quart Crock Pot, and this is my first time using it!

I’ve been going a little nuts finding slow cooker recipes on the interweb, so it’s likely that I’m going to be posting a lot of slow cooker recipes. Just a heads up.



So just pile your apple slices in the slow cooker. Doesn’t that just look hopeful? I don’t know. There’s all this potential. Like, “Emily, we’re just sliced ingredients! You haven’t screwed up yet!”

Not that I routinely receive messages from produce, or anything. Ahem.

Next we’re going to start piling in the other goodies.

First, the lemon juice. I used two tablespoons, but I think next time I’ll only use one.



Just dump that on in, no worries about drizzling, but by all means, drizzle if it gives you a sense of control over the process.

I drizzled. Sometimes I just need to feel important.



Now, we’re going to throw in some water. The recipes I based this off of differed on this point…but the recipe I linked to up top used ¼ cup of water.

So I used a scant ¼ cup, because I have to fiddle.




Now the vanilla.

Full disclosure: I love vanilla. No, really. I *love* vanilla. There are very few flavors that I enjoy as intensely as I enjoy vanilla. So why the imitation extract? Cheapness and hesitation.

I’ve got Madagascar Vanilla Bean Paste (buy it, please. It’ll change your life.), but I didn’t want to throw it in my applesauce until I knew my applesauce was worthy of fantastic vanilla.

So, imitation. I use it in a lot of things, and it hasn’t dampened my love of vanilla. It’s my not so secret shame.



Now, I used a heaping tablespoon of brown sugar.

I love the way brown sugar scoops. It’s just perfect. And it gets that little ridge around the bottom, like the feet on a macaron.

Ooh. Macarons.

Ahem. I may need to try making macarons. Mind if I drag you along for that inevitable failure? Excellent. Didn’t think you’d mind ;)



Next up is the cinnamon. A half teaspoon looked good for the amount of apples I had.

Just sprinkle it on. I love the color of cinnamon.



Now stir it all together. The smell and feel of this step reminded me of making apple pie. Oh! I should make apple pie and give you all the recipe. It’s a good one, if I do say so myself.

And I guess I don’t, because Rocket Scientist loved it too.

Rocket Scientist is a noted supporter of most of my cooking/baking efforts. So long as there are minimal vegetables.

And no peanut butter.

And no pasta.

He’s odd, but I love him anyway.

Now! Once the apples have been all coated with everything we tossed into the slow cooker, put the lid on, turn the knob on the front to Low, and just back away for about four or five hours. Or until the apples are tender.

I didn’t get a picture of it, because steam was fogging up the glass top on my slow cooker, but my apples had started to split themselves along the back of the slice.

Please resist the temptation to peek before 4 hours are up. You take off the lid and all of the steam gets out and then it takes even longer to cook. And it might dry out your applesauce.

Possibly.

It could happen, right?

Anyway, now that four hours have passed, take off the lid, breathe in that amazing cinnamon apple smell…and mash the hell out of the apples with a fork.

Please pretend that I took a picture of the apples pre-mashing, instead of jumping right in with the fork as I was late to go see True Grit with Rocket Scientist and a friend of ours.



Lovely! These apples were super tender and just fell apart as I mostly stirred.

Now, I have a confession.

My applesauce was too watery.

It isn’t inedible, and I could certainly drain some of it off (and likely will), but when I make applesauce again, I’m going to either cut the amount of water I put in in half…or just omit it entirely. I think I may omit entirely. I just feel that the apples produce enough liquid on their own…(if you don’t take off the lid!)

Also, I used 2 T of lemon juice, because I didn’t have a fresh lemon on hand. I may cut that down. Although, after sitting in the fridge for a bit, I think the balance of flavors in the applesauce is really nice. So maybe the lemon juice is just fine.

But there you have it!

Applesauce with minimal effort in your slow cooker. Delicious.

My suggested recipe:
- 6 medium McIntosh apples, sliced and peeled
- 1.5 T Lemon juice
- 1/8 c water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 T brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Combine in 2.5 qt slow cooker. Cover, cook on low for 4-5 hrs or until tender. Mash with a fork, serve warm or chill.

5 comments:

  1. Saw the link you posted on FB... decided to read! Anyway, it sounds really yummr! I'll have to try it.

    Also:

    1. From a chemical standpoint, imitation vanilla and "real" vanilla are the exact same thing. The imitation kind is just made synthetically. True story.

    2. I usually call it an apple "skin"... but I think peel works too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the photographs along with the commentary. Very well done. I think I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Molly: Thanks for checking it out :) I appreciate it. And that's really interesting about the vanilla, I had never heard that before. So that's what I'll pull out when people give me crap about it ;)

    @Angie: Thanks! You should definitely start a cooking blog. Everyone I know should start a cooking blog so that I can check out your recipes and keep up a little.

    @RMGR (Brian?): Yeah, probably. But as I'm looking right now at the hole in the bottom of my right tennis shoe...don't have much ground to complain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man. I just might have to go to the thrift store and look for a slow cooker now just to make applesauce. That looks AWESOME.
    The stuff in the plastic cup was always too watery for me. It seemed more like a drink than a snack. When I was a kid I'd punch holes in either side of the foil top and drink them. (I was kind of a weird kid- still am, I guess.)

    ReplyDelete